Thursday, June 11, 2009

"If Your Core Is Weak, Nothing Else Can Be Strong"

The Core is the center... make no mistake my friend, if your core is weak -- you are weak! I don't care how long you have been riding a bike, how lean you are, how fast you are or how quick you can climb. Your core strength and durability is the lifeblood of ongoing cycling strength and performance. ~http://www.cyclo-club.com/public/department163.cfm




So here I am at the third workout day of my five-workout day plan... the day calls for two workouts: Burn Intervals and Ab Burner. The problem I ran into when I first started the program, I was so exhausted that I would not do Ab Burner. But today,
 
I did the intervals, ate some breakfast, rested, later ate lunch and then did Ab Burner. It was shorter than I originally remember; only 10 measly minutes and I could only get through five of them. I was totally disgusted with myself. I've always said my core is just a disgrace. I wish I could excuse it on having a baby two years ago, but that would be a lie since it was weak before then... and I know it takes time and patience and everyone is always telling me I need to exercise (pun intended more patience. But it's hard... especially when damn near starting from scratch. 

My Wii Fit even tells me in my balance tests that my posture needs work. I will be shifted to the left some days, the right other days and then some days I have PERFECT posture, but to me, I am standing awkwardly. Isn't that odd? Have you ever experienced this? A strong core helps keep your body aligned properly and is helpful in all fitness levels and activities. With optimal alignment, your fatigue is likely to hold off longer as you get stronger. Hence why it's imperative for runners and swimmers to learn/practice good form... it helps then endure through the race by keeping fatigue at bay. Have you ever seen someone running in the park with arms and legs flailing like a chicken? They look flushed and in pain and tired like they're gonna pass out? Yeah, bad posture leads to bad form... which leads to fatigue. 

So even though I only got through five minutes, I'm gonna keep the faith that toward the later part of the month I can get through all 10 minutes. Because the core, is not just about abs -- thank God! My core is gonna get stronger with all the strength training that goes along with this program. Our core is actually comprised of our upper back and shoulders (aka as the head carriage) gluteals (pelvis), obliques and our abs. This workout thankfully works all of those. In my defense, Chalene does a more advanced ab session for that 10 minutes, but it would be nice to get through it. At any rate, it's over now. And tomorrow morning is a new day for the kid. 

Off to take a shower and a nap... I feel pretty good... even if I am down on myself right now. So used to being fit and really good at this stuff. It just caught me off guard to not be able to finish it. I'm highly competitive. Apparently, even with myself. 

Simply put, a strong core is equivalent to overall health... and I want to get there. 

Have a productive, strong workout today! 

No comments: